Looking for an easy, low-carb alternative to traditional spaghetti and meatballs? You've come to the right place. Here's a hearty, sauce-y dish that's sure to satisfy. We substituted the spaghetti with zucchini noodles (a.k.a. "zoodles"), so this dish is practically carb-free! BONUS: This dish can also be made vegetarian (just use veggie meatballs :-).
Zoodles and Meatballs (Low-Carb)
Serves 4. Ready in 45 minutes.
Only 23 carbs per serving.
- 4 medium/large zucchini
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- grated parmesan cheese (to taste)
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced/crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 diced Spanish onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 carrot, grated
The ones used for this recipe
were store-bought chicken meatballs, but feel free to be creative and make your own!
- Cut zucchini into thin, noodle-like strips (I used a Veggetti for this, but a sprializer or mandoline also works really well!).
- Toss the zucchini strips with salt.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and onion to skillet to sauté.
- Once the skillet becomes aromatic, add the zucchini.
- Cook and stir until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain zoodles to remove excess water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I just heated my store-bought meatballs
by throwing them in the sauce as it was cooking. See sauce details below!
Store-bought sauce in a jar works just fine, but if you'd like to make your own sauce from scratch, I recommend the following:
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until light golden brown (8-10 minutes).
- Add thyme and carrot and cook until carrot is soft (~5 minutes).
- Add canned tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil. Stir the mixture often as it's coming to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens (20-30 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt.
- Pour over Zoodles and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
A low carb substitute that will satisfy your cravings for some carb-loaded, sauce-y spaghetti. You may never crave the "real thing" again! :-)